Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:06:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      scot@poptart.org
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Apache config

Hi.

I know this is more of an Apache issue, but someone might know...

I want to allow access to a web server without authentication, from our
LAN, but require a username/password if accessed from else where.

I've done this using two location sections:

Alias /trusted "/www/htdocs"
Alias /open "/www/htdocs"

<Location /open/>
        AuthDBMGroupFile /www/auth/users
        AuthDBMUserFile  /www/auth/users
        AuthName "Web server"
        AuthType basic
        require valid-user
</Location>

<Location /trusted/>
        Order allow,deny
        allow from [some IP range...]
</Location>

This works fine most of the time.  The problem comes with access to files
protected by <Files> sections.  If I protect .htaccess files, then they
cannot be read using either URL.  But when I try something like:

<Files *.inc>
	Order allow,deny
	Deny from all
</Files>

... then I can read .inc files using /trusted/... as the base URL, but not
with /open/... as the base. [obviously, I don't want to be able to access
.inc files from anywhere...]

Has anyone else seen this behaviour.. or have I missed something obvious?
Server is Apache/1.3.4.

Thanks.

Scot Elliott