Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:48:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iostat and msps

> > > Someone has to do the work.  It would be nice if every driver didn't
> > > have to know how to manage the statistics.  They could call (inline)
> > > functions but the placement of the calls is driver-dependent.
> >
> > Always the problem... somebody's gotta do the work  :-)  :-)
>
> And I would love to give it a try, if this is something that more people
> than I think whould be an improvment of FreeBSD.

Opinion: regardless of how many people express an interest right now, this
is something that needs to be done.

Reasoning:  these are numbers you are not likely to examine unless you are
in pain.  If you are in pain, you are suddenly placed in a situation where
being without metrics puts you in the uncomfortable position of guessing in
the dark.  And you don't get in this sort of position if you are working on
a desktop OS, you get into this position when you start to really use the OS
as a heavy server system.  FreeBSD's stats are not BAD but they could be
made more useful...  what is useful?  I think that that is one of the things
that needs to be quantified.

Transfers per second and average time to service transaction seem to be two
obvious things you would want to know about your disks.  :-)

... Joe