Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 19:14:14 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, nate@trout.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Genassym

OK! I have an "out" that I think might satisfy all of our demands.

1) ALWAYS force genassym to reference /usr/include for its library headers.

2) NEVER include the objects or binaries of any of the kernel or kernel
specific tools in any distribution. REQUIRE that they be recompiled when
used on any machine.

After all, as Nate points out, genassym is a "tool" to be executed on the
host machine and not something that runs on the target.

I haven't looked at genassym, but assume that it uses the sys headers only
as input text, or equivalently, conditional conpilation flags. If it makes
any assumptions about kernel data structures, etc. it will eventually break
in cross platform compilation. :(

-- OR --

Allow me to specify a correct cross-compilation environment and move
genassym to the "tools" portion of that structure. In that case, the
correct files will be automatically referenced.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net