Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      alan17@his.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Detailed explanation of problem<g>

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, let me thank the kind and
knowledgeable people -- from all parts of the world, I am interested
to note! -- who have posted responses and suggestions to me.  It
makes me hope even more that I will be able to install FreeBSD.

However . . . !  I need reassurance about the installation procedure.
So let me explain as precisely as I can my problem/concern(the
impatient can bail out right here<g>)

I am a Linuxer with a vanilla Pentium, with a first HD(bought in
Nairobi BTW) that is now 90% full.  So a week ago I bought a 6.3gig
HD and partitioned it as follows:

/dev/hdc1    944 meg    b7   BSDI fs
/dev/hdc2     75 meg    b8   BSDI swap
/dev/hdc3   1247 meg    b7   BSDI fs
/dev/hdc4   3982 meg     5   Extended
/dev/hdc5   1039 meg    83   Linux native
/dev/hdc6   1228 meg    83   Linux native
/dev/hdc7   1714 meg    83   Linux native

Since I detect some ambiguity/ambivalence in the various terminologies,
let me say a few words about my understanding of the above.

1.  The above data are "pre-OS"; they are written into the master boot
record(I believe) of my disk(which is called /dev/hdc because it is
the Master on my IDE1(second half of IDE).

2.  It can be seen that I have three primary partitions, /dev/hdc1,
/dev/hdc2, /dev/hdc3, which are intended for FreeBSD, plus a fourth
primary which is Extended(this is some sort of Kludge) and which is
subdivided into three Linux partitions.  These three Linux  partitions
are already in use, contain data, and I am extremely unwilling
to do, or allow to happen, anything which will compromise their
integrity.

3.  As a consequence of 2., I am willing to change the partition types
of /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, /dev/hdc3, but not to delete them or to
change their size(I note that my Linux fdisk program mentions a
partition type 'a5', named BSD/383;  I could change the 'b7' or BSDI
partitions to that)

4.  I thought I was being clever in putting the prospective BSDI
partitions first, since Linux, at any rate, requires BIOS right at
the beginning, and BIOSes sometimes have difficulty finding locations
way out on a big hard drive.

OK, I hope that any of you who have read so far have understood this.

My question:  can I install FreeBSD _without_ the above data being
changed?  I am certainly willing to consider a "dd-type" installation,
where I get a minimal system from somewhere, put it on, say, a Zip disk,
and 'dd' it to e.g. my /dev/hdc1.  It is my intention to put all the
directories of the BSD _system_(e.g. /, /usr, /bin, /dev, etc etc)
onto /dev/hdc1, and reserve /dev/hdc3 for user accounts, and possibly
sym-linked overflow from /dev/hdc1.

I am very much hoping that someone will a) have read as far as this<g>,
and b) give me a definitive solution to this difficulty.

Again thanks to all responders!

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell     The beauty of an object, a song, or a dance can
Pixel Analysis     never be altogether intrinsic, independent of old