Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 20:57:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fastest ISA Ethernet Board for FBSD?

>      I'm looking for a recommendation for the fastest/least overhead ISA
> ethernet board supported by FreeBSD.  I'm currently looking at the Allied
> Telesyn AT1500, which is based on the PCNet chip and which supports bus
> mastering.  Some Linux-specific docs I've found rate this board highly, but I
> don't about the state of support for this board in FreeBSD.

It should work fine with the lnc driver and the performance of PCNet
cards is about as good as there is as long as you don't have contention
for bus bandwidth. You'll have lots of problems with them if they can't get
hold of the bus for DMA transfers when they need to. Have you got
any other bus-masters on the ISA bus? It'll be OK with just a SCSI card.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul