Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:29:07 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Example mime.types, and mailcap for mutt?

> To: ay@sita.kiev.ua
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Example mime.types, and mailcap for mutt?
> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:01:59 -0800
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
>
> > Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:38:29 +0200 (EET)
> > From: ay@sita.kiev.ua
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > 	It's all nice, but how to manage application/octet-stream ?
> > 	I do often receive msword attachments, labeled as octet-stream.
> >
> > 	More : catdoc fails to show nsworld files with exocic charsets.
>
> If they are just labeled as "application/octet-stream", the sender
> messed up. They should be "application/msword". I believe some
> versions used a bogus application type for all Office documents, but
> application/octet-stream is wrong as it only says that the file
> contains undefined binary data.

    That answer is true, but doesn't help nevertheless. :)

    Handling mislabled attachments is quite high on my todo (= should
    get to it before the end of the year :), and the scenario is as
    follows (warning: this will most probably be expensive as hell, and
    I will prolly just go back to editing the MIME types of attachments
    in mutt):
    - have my MDA parse the MIME structure of incoming messages, looking
      for any application/octet-stream parts
    - determine the MIME type from the suffix of the attachment
    - rewrite the message

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
12:18PM up 17 days, 18:41, 11 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.01, 0.94