Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 10:43:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dave adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David A Adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:   Re: ide and SMP current (07/26/97)

 Hi,

 Looks like some minor problems with wd when used with current as of
 07/26/97 (apic_vector.s v1.11). I'm configured with / on an IDE drive and
 all other partions on a NCR53c810. When the IDE controller is configured
 0x80008000 I see the following:

 Jul 26 11:18:50 samthedog /kernel.test: wd2: interrupt timeout:
 Jul 26 11:18:55 samthedog /kernel.test: wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq>
 error 0
 Jul 26 11:19:04 samthedog /kernel.test: wd2: interrupt timeout:
 Jul 26 11:19:04 samthedog /kernel.test: wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq>
 error 1<no_dam>

 The system continues to run but stalls periodically on wd2 accesses.
 During the stalls systat shows the interrupt load go to nearly 50%. I
 assume thats because the system is stalled in the wd driver.

 If I reconfigure to use multi-sector transfers (0x80ff80ff) then I can run
 normally with very infrequent timeout messages. The problem still exists
 with multi-sector transfers enabled, its just less frequent.  Possibly a
 race in the driver?

 I've got drives on wcd0 and wcd1 but I'm only mounting wd2. When I mount
 the drives on wcd0 they have the same problem in single-sector transfer
 mode. I originally switched to single-sector in an attempt to minimize
 silo overflows and never changed it back.

 The motherboard is a tyan S1563D. There were no timeouts with
 apic_vector.s V1.10.

 dave