Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:44:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Call for *quick* review] architecture-specific manpages

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

MS>> : As some manual pages are intended only for specific architectures,
MS>> : man searches any subdirectories, with the same name as the current
MS>> : architecture, in every directory which it searches.  Machine specific
MS>> : areas are checked before general areas.  The current machine type may
                                                ----------------------------
MS>> : be overridden by setting the environment variable MACHINE to the name
MS>> : of a specific architecture.
MS>>
MS>> This would eliminate the need to MLINK every arch-specific file to the
MS>> parent directory, and would allow us to have both architecture-specific
MS>> and generic manpages with the same name in the same section.
MS>>
MS>> Comments?
MS>
MS>Why not to use HW_MACHINE mib to get current arch, so it would just work [tm] w/o the
MS>need to define MACHINE env variable?

Umm, I think you misunderstand.  The way I read it, the patches
automatically detect the machine architecture that you're running, but you
can set the MACHINE environment variable to *override* that automatic
detection.

Please note the underlined passage in the quotation.
--
Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com> Resistance is Futile | FreeBSD: The
WWW: http://www.borg-cube.com/  ICQ: UIN#16997506      | Power to