Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 11:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3674: NFS in 2.2 RELEASE hangs.

The following reply was made to PR kern/3674; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To: Jose A Rodriguez <rodigue@ibm.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 19:34:03 +0100 (BST)

 On Tue, 27 May 1997, Jose A Rodriguez wrote:

 > When I read that the problem might be caused by a fast server
 > overwhelming a slower client, I did the following to prevent IP
 > fragmentation:
 >
 > mount -t nfs -o -r=1024 remote_machine:/remote_directory  /mnt
 >
 > Then  I did
 >
 > 	cp /mnt/remote_file local_file
 >
 > and after a few seconds I started to get kernel panics ! (Page faults
 > while in kernel mode, LRU queue inconsistent, and other nasty messages).
 >
 > By the way, the client's network card is AMD PCNET (pci & isa),
 > at least this is what Win95 reports.

 Ouch!  It certainly shouldn't do that.  Can you copy down the information
 that the kernel prints on the panic and send it to me along with the part
 of 'nm -n /kernel' which contains the instruction pointer where it
 faulted.

 --
 Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
 					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039