Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 08:29:41 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG>
To:        mrm@mole.Mole.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        alk@Think.COM, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.usr.dist

> Can we agree with the statement:
>
> o	Be it resolved that future work will be done on FreeBSD,
> 	such that upgrades are designated as expected events,
> 	and thus we should not engage in behaviours which screw
> 	the ability to upgrade.
>
> ?

I'd agree with the above without even mumbling.

I suggest the following as a very small first step: remove /etc/rc.local
from the distribution. /etc/rc does the Right Thing if /etc/rc.local isn't
there. Anything that is developer supplied in /etc/rc.local should be moved
to /etc/rc iff it is important enough to be there. If a local administrator
wants to add /etc/rc.local, fine. If a local administrator wants to dink
with /etc/rc, fine too, but the local administrator must then live with
upgrade problems.

I note that I prefer the rc.d startup method, but, in the interest of
tradition, the /etc/rc /etc/rc.local method will do and is almost equivalent.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good