Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:53:45 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netstat info weird

--nextPart1165951.9pb7kWRv05

On Monday 14 February 2005 17:02, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I guess something is wrong here:
> > netstat -m
>
> 4294961156 mbufs in use
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> 4294967102/50176 mbuf clusters in use (current/max)
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> 0/3/12800 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
> 4192381 KBytes allocated to network
> ^^^^^^^
> 0 requests for sfbufs denied
> 0 requests for sfbufs delayed
> 0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
> 43 calls to protocol drain routines
>

> It is 5.3-RELEASE, 2-cpu server Xeon box with 4G of RAM.
>
> As the other evidence that something is wrong with the server, the
> system halts at random times (the only way is to press reboot button).
> The are no messages in the server logs to the subject.
>
> Any hints are welcome. Thanks in advance.

This is a statistic problem.  "$vmstat -z | grep Mbuf" gives accurate numbe=
rs. =20
It is possible to have correct stats in netstat -m output, but at the cost =
of=20
an additional atomic operation for every allocation.  As these are very=20
expensive (esp. on P4) it was decided to not care that much about this=20
special statistics.

If the command above gives normal numbers (third column) the cause must be=
=20
somewhere else.  You can try to build a debugging kernel and see if that=20
turns anything up.

=2D-=20