Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 11:10:58 -0400
From:      rdewalt@meridianksi.com (Ryan Dewalt)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

(I attempted to post this to freebsd-hackers once before, but for
some reason, my attempt hadn't made it to the list, so I swapped to a
different e-mail account and posted this once again.)

I've recently reverse engineered a small piece of hardware, The
'Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander" (MSSC hereafter).
Official page:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/devices/SComm/
I've done some cursory searching and found no information on this
device under FreeBSD, so in the spirit of hacking, I wrote my own.
And have fleshed out how to use it for an input device on FreeBSD.
(The MSSC is a 'game device' designed for the left hand with Real
Time Strategy games in mind.  X/Y/Rotate, plus 12 individual buttons
and a 3pos slider.) I've gone as far as to cobble together a
'Frankenstein' version of 'moused' and it works just fine. I have
been using it as a left handed mouse on my one machine for about
three days now.

Since I don't exactly have immediate usage for the device, and using
it as a mouse is not the most optimal. (X only supports buttons 1-5
out of the 12 of the device, plus the granularity of the device is
not that great for fine work.  It was meant to be a game controller
after all.) I'd like to release my code to the public for comments,
and perhaps someone else can find use of my work.  BUT, given the way
the world has appeared to be to me, with legal battles and wars over
intellectual properties I'm coming to this list for advice before
releasing anything.  However this device might have alot of potential
for an input device for some other project.

1: Legally 'Covering My Fannie'.  Speaking of Microsoft and Reverse
Engineering is often done with the same care as someone handling a
crystal-meth addicted rampaging bull.  For personal reasons I do not
wish to wander over to the Dark Side of the Force, and release the
specifications knowingly stepping on potential legal toes.  As I said
above, I didn't need any unusual methods to RE the device, very
'clean room' as it were.  The machine that I did all the work on is a
dedicated FreeBSD computer, the Official Drivers were/are not even
installed in any of the computers under my control during the whole
time.  That, coupled with the nature of USB making it almost trivial
to RE a gamepad, it was not a particularly hard task for me.

2: Should I release the code that is wholly my own under the BSD
license?  Its experimental and practically useless as anything other
than experiment/demonstration.  The msscd program is a hack. A very
ugly hack, but it works.  However it was created by taking a chainsaw
to moused and removing what I didn't need... That in and of itself
has other issues as well.

Can I release my findings without having the business end of a lawyer
pointed at me?

 As you can probably guess, this is my first real attempt at this.

- -Ryan

--
Ryan Dewalt - Code Poet rdewalt@meridianksi.com . 7033229565x116
"When I say rare I mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it