Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:49:36 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Back to the future...

Hi folks,

whenever I make world, I seem to have a "time problem" which is a little
disturbing. Here's what happens:

When I CVSup the latest sources, build them, then build & install a new
kernel, reboot with the new kernel to single user mode, and once I am in
signle user mode, run "make installworld", all the files that get installed
are dated one hour in the future. So, if I did this right now, at 9:42, and
would then do, for exaple "ls -l /bin/ls", then I would see that ls was
installed at 10:42.

Now, this has caused me some small problems recently. Although the
future-dated world files do work, I have had problems installing some ports
until the time at which world was supposedly installed had past. In other
words, after installing world, I had to wait an hour before I could do
anything else related to building and installing.

So, any ideas what I can do in single user mode so that FreeBSD will make
sure that "make installworld" installs the world with "sane", i.e. "real"
timestamps? I guess this has something to do with GMT vs. my local time
(CET), but I don't know what to do about it, all I know is that if I
install something in multiuser mode, the time of the installed files gets
set right. This also seems to be true when I first boot to multiuser mode
and then do a "shutdown now" to read single user, but it doesn't seem to
work if I use "boot -s" to get right into single user mode.

So, any hints anyone?

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany