Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:20:56 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

On 16-Nov-97 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> MIDI is driving me nuts.  I get no sound from playmidi, or it hangs my
>> system
>> altogether.  Installed the awedrv package from Randall Hopper, rebuilt my
>> kernel, but still no luck; AWE32 is not found at bootup.  Compiled the
>> AWE-enabled playmidi with the AWE selected as default device.  No good.
>>
>> One thing I'm very confused about is the apparent conflict between "audio
>> MIDI", i.e., MIDI output through the speakers, and external MIDI.  What port
>> address is used for the former?
>
> in order to play midi files, you either need to access the synthesys
> devices (opl or the wavetable synthesizer on the AWE/GUS) or you can
> use timidity (which according to people produces inferior sound quality).
> The latter does the conversion in software so you can use /dev/audio
> for the output.

OK, good.  Yes, timidity works great, and is a fine solution until I figure out
how to get the AWE wave stuff going.  But shouldn't playmidi work with my OPL?

>> awe0 at 0x620 on isa
>> AWE32 not found
>> AWE32: not detected
>
> maybe you can make the probe a little more verbose so as to understand
> what is going wrong. Or, ask Randall (i think) who originally imported
> the AWE sources and certainly knows how to configure it.

Good idea.  Randall, are you out there?  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

And the Deep Thought of the Day (tm) is:

Never offend people with style when you can offend them with
substance.
                -- Sam Brown, "The Washington Post", January 26, 1977