Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 16:14:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ivaudrey@test.nemko.ltd.uk, markm@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.2.1 port will not start up

As of 1.2.1, Apache defaults to useing flock() locking to serialize
accept() calls in multiple children on FreeBSD.  The lockfile defaults to
being named logs/accept.lock.

The FreeBSD port uses a different directory structure that doesn't have a
logs subdirectory under server_root.  Apache should print the name of the
file it can't open; it does so for fcntl() locking, but it was accidently
ommitted for flock() locking.  That is fixed in the CVS repository.
Printing the filename makes the problem and the fix more obvious.  We are
thinking about a better location, based on feedback from situations like
this.  Unfortunately, there is no "logs" directory we can use.  Speaking
generically for all platforms, /var/run is no good, /var/tmp is no good,
/usr/tmp is no good, /tmp may be ok, server_root may be ok.

The FreeBSD port should probably define DEFAULT_LOCKFILE in the FreeBSD
section of conf.h; since it uses a different directory structure, it
should completely use that.  Using the LockFile directive is a workaround,
but on any given platform with any given install it shouldn't be necessary
unless you change the directory structure.

--
     Marc Slemko     | Apache team member
     marcs@znep.com  | marc@apache.org