Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:58:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gunnut@2ainfo.it
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hardware conflicts, PPP problems (was: Trouble with FBSD)

On Sunday,  5 July 1998 at 20:53:04 +0200, gunnut@2ainfo.it wrote:
> Dear Mr Lehey,
>                           after a few months from receiving the FBSD
> cdrom +book I stiil cannot make it work.

Well, you might like to consider the section on Support, page 14:

  Support

  As it says in the copyright, FreeBSD is supplied as-is, without any
  support liability.  If you're on the Net, you're not alone, however.
  Liability is one thing, but there are plenty of people prepared to
  help you, most for free, some for fee.  A good place to start is
  with the mailing list freebsd-ques- tions@FreeBSD.ORG.  When
  submitting questions to FreeBSD-questions, remember that people are
  under no obligation to answer your question.  Make them want to
  answer it: submit the question in a clear, understandable manner.
  For more details, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html. You may
  also like to check out the FreeBSD World-Wide Web (WWW) site at
  http://www.FreeBSD.org, in particular the support page at
  http://www.FreeBSD.org/support.html.

I'm copying FreeBSD-questions on this reply, since you're likely to
get better support there than you will from me.

> There are many problem but the most urgent is the following: i have
> a conflict for port 60 among mouse and keyboard I tried to change
> the mouse port but I could not succed the system reboots and the
> mouse is still on port 60.

The mouse port is part of the hardware.  I'd be interested to know how
you tried to change it, but I'm not surprised you weren't successful.
As it says on page 51, you can usually ignore this warning.

> The problem seems to be with the keyboard: I have
> tried to write the file /etc/ppp/ppp.conf    as per your scheme but when
> I try to run ppp I always get the error message line 1 missing  colon
> the trouble is the colon is not missing at all.Could this be due to a
> hardware problem?

No.  I'd guess it's some subtle syntax error.  It's difficult to say
what it is without seeing what you have written.

> I have the generic kernel running
> my computer is a compaq deskpro 6000 .Ihad trouble with NT ,Linux and
> FreeBSD.At this time I am  using Netscape mail under Linux.The computer
> sometimes misbehave with Linux too.One example when pressing the
> Backspace key it start to print ^H and the application must be closed.It
> is a rather frequent event on FBSD too.Any suggestion will be greatly
> appreciated.

This suggests that you have included some setup script which remaps
your control characters.  Compare with pages 145 and 146.  What shell
are you using?  Did you get an initialization script from a different
machine?  In any case, it's easy enough to fix:

 $ stty erase ^H

Greg