Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 18:54:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, dgilbert@velocet.ca, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and Solaris tcp beating FreeBSD 4:1

> Since the real solution for this is some time in the future, what can
> I hack on quickly?  If I can't change the timeout speed, can I change
> some other parameter that will help here?  I'm taking a lot of flack
> that netcat port forwarding on a Sparc 1+ can beat our FreeBSD
> K6-2/400

one wonders what is your config and why you have high losses
(congestion or what ?). Lowering the MTU in some cases might help
because it keeps more packets in flight and lets fast retransmit act
earlier.

	cheers
	luigi

  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====