Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:25:15 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I'm being locked out although password is fine!

I'm running a lot of FreeBSD:s and in one of them (2.2.1-RELEASE)
I get locked out now and then.

The machine refuses to accept my login although nothing has
changed in /etc (ls -lt shows no recent changes).

I has come to the very irritating point that I have to have
two logins on this machine so I can enter with my second
login, do su, and change password on my first login. After I
change password (to what it already is or should be!) everything
works fine again.

Yesterday I was locked out, changed password, did one ftp
and one telnet to the machine and the next time I tried
ftp I was locked out again. Only a few minutes after I
changed my password!!!

This has only ever happenend to me on this machine and
it only happens to this login.

This is very strange, is there some explanation to this?

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson     pol@leissner.se