Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:36:53 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph into -stable. (fwd)

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:52:23PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I admit that it doesn't seem  a minor addition, but
> I'd like to get netgraph down into 3.x now that it has been shaken down a
> bit in 4.x and to give it some time to settle before 3.4.
>
> reasons:
> 1/ DSL in Canada is now switching rapidly to PPPoE.
>  1A/ *Newsflash*  mindspring has just gone PPPoE-only.
>  1B/ UUnet is switching to PPPoE.
> 2/ PPP will start using it soon (other than with pppoe)
> and we'd like ONE version not 2 for Brian to maintain.
> 3/ ISPs who may want to use the PPPOE server side are generally running
>   3.x, not 4.x

I've been watching things happening in the netgraph directory in
the CVS mailing list, but not known what was going on.  Is this
some sort of IP tunnelling thing?  Does PPPoE mean "PPP over
Ethernet?"

What's it good for?

Why are these telcos using it?

Where can we read about it?

By all means add it, if it's not going to break my system.  But
when it's there in my source tree, I'll probably want to fiddle
with it...

--
Andrew