Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:11:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Stanislav Shalunov <shalunov@lynxhub.lz.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Presenting FreeBSD to management

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Stanislav Shalunov wrote:

> The ISP I am working for is migrating from an outdated hardware
> platform.  The main candidate is now, naturally, SPARC architecture
> with Solaris.  I am about to try to convince my manager to use
> FreeBSD.  I am well aware about the gallery of commercial users of
> FreeBSD.
>
> What other reasons to use FreeBSD might I suggest?  Anyone with
> experience talking to bosses?

I am the boss here - so No to part 2 - but on part 1 - here are reasons
why WE left SCO Unix for freebsd
--------------------
FreeBSD runs on easily and quickly available intel type generic PC
hardware - whats that mean?

	Lower hardware costs - both startup and future expansion

	Rapid replacement part acquisition
		(thus less downtime)

	In house repairs

	Quick advantage taking of newer technologies

Great Documentation and Support via the net

	With SCO the contract for 1 year was close to the price of the
	product itself - if you didnt have one but had a question - the
	price was approx $300 to ask it, whether the doink on the other end could
	answer it or not

Quick response by development team to security and bug issues

Easy upgrades and installation methods

Its FREE  (although to be ethical, a donation to the cause is appropriate
in my opinion - my company sent one)

-------

Now if your management is non-technical - the dilbert type of 'damagement'
that says things like "I hear purple spreadsheets use less ram" then
these are the reasons to use

----

	It will save money in hardware, software, and maintenance.

	It will keep you making money by not crashing - crashing makes the
	competition look good you know.

	Alot of the big boys use it - and they both save and make big
	money

----

	If its an accountant type - do the numbers - on the cost of a
sparc, cost of your hours to get it installed, of the support contract for
1 year - versus the cost of equivalent muscle with freebsd.

	Then do an ongoing chart of sparc maintenance vs freebsd on a
pentium.
--------