Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:38:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Andreas Alderud <aaldv97@student.vxu.se>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Propolice for gcc-2.95.2

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Andreas Alderud wrote:

> Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> >Very cool..It would be useful to look at the feasibility of
> >integrating this into FreeBSD as an option.
>=20
> Probably a good id=E9a for 4.x series, but hardly needed in 5.x since
> TrusedBSD gets integrated into it.
> Release Candidate 1 of 4.2 is already released, no hope of seeing it in t=
he
> final 4.2 release, or?
>=20
> /Kind regards,
>     David A. Alderud

MAC and stack-smashing protection are certainly not mutally
exclusive.  Even if the base system is configured with strong access
barriers to compromised programs, there is still lesser mischief
that can be performed.

Additionally, it's very likely that people will still installed wu-ftpd,
qpopper, imapd, etc from ports.  None of trustedbsd's features will help
when confronted with the default behavior of these programs.  Stack
protection, on the other hand, would have prevented a good amount of the
past bugs in these programs, and will likely continue to be a good
protection method.

Personally, I'd like to see _both_ options be used to their full
potential.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack