Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:25:33 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Eugen <martin.eugen@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SOCK_DGRAM optimization needed...

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 10:41:36AM +0300, Martin Eugen wrote:
M> I have a simple application, that deals with lots of dgram sockets (UDP).
M> Thousands of them. Basically, its purpose is to
M> maintain pairs of sockets and when data is received on one of the sockets it
M> peeks through it (doing some simple
M> statistic calculations) and then forwards it to the other socket.
M> Because of the hudge number of reads and writes (probably about a 10 packets
M> per second per socket pair) it generates a significant load
M> on the system, that I would like to minimize. I'm currently evaluating if it
M> would be possible to add simple 'routing' functionality in the socket layer
M> in the kernel, because frankly I'm not able to think of anything else.

As Robert said you can try to put this into kernel. That is, you can
write down a netgraph node, that does the routing. Then connect thousands
of ng_ksocket(4) to it.

If netgraph(4) survives such a big graph (I hope so), you will get quite
fast forwarding. You should also implement a fast ng_findhook method
for your 'routing' node, so that it won't cycle through the thousand of
hooks.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE