Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 04:50:12 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jcargill@cs.wisc.edu, shatz@interlog.com
Subject:   Re: BSD install problem. (was Re: forwarded message from Kevin Flewitt)

>> config		kernel	root on wd0 swap on wd0 and wd1 and sd0 and sd1 and vn0 dumps on wd0
>>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
>> This needs to be changed to wd1 for this system.  You'll need a custom

Actually, it should just work.  The root device is always the boot device
by default, at least if the kernel `ident' is not `GENERIC'.  Perhaps the
bootstrap couldn't determine the correct boot device.

>> Is there anyway we can change this to:
>> config		kernel	root on boot swap on boot dumps on boot

`root on boot' is the default.  `swap on boot' is sort of the default.
If the b partition of the boot/root device is not in the list of swap
devices, then it cannot be used for swap even if you give a swapon
command.  Swap is no longer turned on automatically so swapconf() no
longer does anything important (it used to move the swapdev on the
boot/root device to the front of the list of swapdevs so that it was
the only swapdev that was used automatically).  `dumps on boot' works
if `swap on boot' works and the original dumpdev is the same as the
new first swapdev, or more generally if SWAP_GENERIC is used as
explained by Bill.

>No, but you can do it the way SunOS does, which is just as good:

>options SWAP_GENERIC

>config   kernel  swap generic

>I managed to get swapgeneric.c working properly some time ago (though I'm
>not sure how it will react to the new disk slicing stuff that went into
>the tree recently). I've been building all of my custom 2.1-Development

The configuration of `rootdev' will stop working when support for booting
from an arbitrary BSD DOSpartition is put into setroot() and someone
boots from one other than the first one.   The calculation of the minor
number assumes too much.  This is easy to fix using the dk macros.  The
calculation of `swapdev' will continue to work, but the whole
configuration of swap needs to change.  Why not leave space in swapdevt[]
for a few more devices and allow swapon to change the list?

>There's a drawback to this scheme which is that it limits you to only one
>swap device. If you want to get fancy with your swap space layout, you
>still need to build a custom kernel.

One that isn't even used until `swapon -a ' in /etc/rc enables it.
/etc/fstab has to have the right devices to work.

Bruce