Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:48:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun <jguojun@sbcglobal.net>
To:        Weaned on BSD <weaned_on_bsd@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mounting old filesystems?

A couple of things you need to be sure before going to get disk mounted.

#1. Make sure your disks were not configured as RAID 0 -- stripping, if it was,
you MUST have your promise tx2200 card installed to get those disk online. If
not, check #2.

#2. There is a problem on GPT (GUID Partition Table) detection on either gpart
or GPT utilities.
Prior to FreeBSD starting using GPT, the information on sector 1 (LBA 1) is
ignored, which may be garbage. Once GPT/GEOM utilities are deployed, old BSD
drives are in trouble to be recognized by newer FreeBSD because sector 1 was
filling some random data to confuse the GPT utilities.

If you are sure you do not have DAID 0 configured on your drives, back up sector
0-32 on those drives, and zero out sector 1 (only 1 sector), then your drive
should be recognized by newer FreeBSD.

Assuming you are familiar with DD command to achieve the goal on disk drives.
Please let us know if you need help on using DD.

-Jin