Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:41:45 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: another set of changes.

Hi,

> >We're at the point where deadlocks are going to become common.  Bear with me
> >and help as you can.  When you hit one please record all the facts you can,
> >and report them to smp@freebsd.org.  Hopefully we will get thru this period
> >before too long...
>
> I pressume that we want to instrument simplelock carefully in the
> #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC case ?

I just committed a debug version of simple_lock that will notice an attempt
to recursively get a lock and panic.  It will print the cpu id, the lock
address and contents.  This should put us in pretty good shape to deal
with any simple_lock deadlocks that I have introduced in the last week or so.
It is ON by default in the new smptests.h file.  If you hit this panic
do a "trace" and "show registers" command and post the data.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by