Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:44:26 +0100
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        scott@statsci.com (Scott Blachowicz), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Michael Smith writes:
> Scott Blachowicz stands accused of saying:
>
> > Well, my Quantum Empire 1400S finally decided to stop spinning
> > up...I've noticed that it seems to take several hits of the reset
> > button before it would spin up and after turning it off yesterday,
> > it just won't spin up. Now, when I turn it on, I hear three little
> > rumbles while it tries to spin.
>
> Geez.  Sounds like they're still building sticky drives.  I don't like
> Quantum for just that reason.

I'm having exactly this problem here with my Quantum Grand Prix 4GB
drive. I tried the 'twist trick' several times already to no avail.
The select led is lit at the beginning of the NCR BIOS probe for a couple
of secs, then follow short flashes 2/sec and after a minute or so the
NCR Bios writes Quantum XP<type>. At least it detects the drive but it
doesn't spin up. I will try again that that twist trick maybe running
a Chubby Checker record in the background 'Let's twist again'.. ;-)