Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:56:56 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jonc@chen.org.nz
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installed audio/alsa-plugins and dependencies

jonc@chen.org.nz writes:

>>> It appears to be missing the SUBPACKAGE dependencies. Is this
>>> intentional, or a bug?
>>
>> Intentional. See pkg-message:
>>
>> Plugins with extra dependencies moved into subpackages:
>> - alsa-plugins-ffmpeg
>> - alsa-plugins-jack
>> - alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>> - alsa-plugins-samplerate
>> - alsa-plugins-speex
>
> In my opinion, that's _not_ correct. When we install any
> non-SUBPACKAGE package, anything listed in LIB_DEPENDS or USES are
> automatically listed as package dependencies. However, if I install
> audio/alsa-plugins, the only way I know what dependencies are required
> is to by consulting /usr/ports/audio/alsa-plugins/Makefile. And if
> audio/alsa-plugins was to be compiled with non-standard OPTIONS, it's
> impossible to tell what dependencies are _actually_ required.

Port dependencies are not package dependencies. With subpackages a
single port can build multiple packages. As such, runtime dependencies[1]
and files are split between multiple packages. However, all build-only
dependencies are shared and not recorded in binary packages. When you
build from ports you build every subpackage[2], so you need to use
options to limit dependencies.

If you want to install only "alsa-plugins" (aka "main" subpackage)
without extra plugins/dependencies just do it like before with all port
options unset.

[1] what "make run-depends-list" shows
[2] until https://reviews.freebsd.org/D43789