Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 22:41:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, work <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ppp: Interrupted system call

> I am having some trouble with ppp dialing automatically on FreeBSD 2.2.7
[.....]
> The modem is a Racal Winstream ISDN modem, which basically pretends to be a
> hayes modem, connected to COM1:.  cts/rts handshake is definitely on..
> After several of the following messages, it will actually dial and connect
> correctly.
>

> Sep  4 02:00:26 alisha ppp[156]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa0:
> Interrupted system call
[.....]

This is because it takes a relatively long time to open the device -
this is probably ``Racal Winstream''s problem (never trust hardware
that has ``win'' in it).

This *may* be fixed at some point in the future, but not for some
time....

> As an aside, it is dialing rather too often - the above entries were at
> 2am, when there shouldn't have been anything using it!  The only things on
> the network that would have been on were this box and an NT4 Server.
> Should I be blocking anything else anywhere?

What does /etc/crontab say about 2:00am ?  I'll bet something in
there is doing a DNS lookup !

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;