Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 04:45:54 -0300 (EST)
From:      Alessandro <xripper@tecsat.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slow processes and connection...

Hi guys,

I run a P200MMX with 64Mb RAM, a USR Sportster 33.6k modem and the
2.2.6-STABLE. I've some problems here and I need help.

1) I compiled my kernel with the following options: PPP_DEFLATE,
PPP_BSDCOMP, PPP_FILTER. I'm using minicom to dial to my ISP and pppd
v2.2.0. I made a options file in the /etc/ppp dir and I used the deflate
12,12 option in this file. The problem is that pppd is not understanding
this deflate option... so I'm not using any kind of compression... any
help?

2) Most of the times, I connect at 33.600 with my ISP. My ISP has a 1Mbits
link and it is fast. The problem is that my 2.2.6 seems to be very slow
when I'm doing more than one thing at a time. For example, if I'm doing an
ftp in one console and in another one I try to use fetchmail, lynx or try
to make a telnet session, it takes an year to connect or even it doesn't
connect... I compiled my kernel with maxusers 64 and I didn't change
nothing more. I sometimes use Linux on the same computer and this problem
doesn't show up, so it's not a hardware problem. I'm using 6
virtual-consoles here. Maybe it's some configuration missing to tune up my
FreeBSD... that's all that I want... Use the Internet in all consoles in a
real multitasking enviroment without having to wait forever for an
application to finish so I can start a new one..:)))))

Thanks in advance... I'm learning a lot in this mailing lists...

Alessandro.