Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:27:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Grrrr..

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

> Ok, I've got ski up and running, and the kernel panics very early in boot
> because it tries to initialize a mutex for a zalloc zone far too early.  The
> problem is due to pmap_bootstrap() using a zbootinit()'d zone.  Now, I could
> just hack around this if we need that zalloc zone, but pmap_bootstrap has this
> comment above the code in question:
>
>         /*
>          * We need some PVs to cope with pmap_kenter() calls prior to
>          * pmap_init(). This is all a bit flaky and needs to be
>          * rethought, probably by avoiding the zone allocator
>          * entirely.
>          */
>
> so I'm wondering if it might not be better to try and fix it as the comment
> suggests instead?

I think it would be a good idea. Basically, we need to be able to cope
with the calls to pmap_map() which the VM system makes during
initialisation. I'm not sure exactly how many there are - perhaps we can
map them all using translation registers, which would be nice.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160