Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 15:19:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        blaz@gold.amis.net, gary@tbe.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, tomthai@future.net
Subject:   Re: ISDN

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:17:05 -0400 (EDT) "Gary D. Margiotta" said:
>A good number of TA's will have dual ports on them to allow you to use two
>64k channels in one unit, and also to allow bonding of the two channels to
>acheive the 128k speed.
>
>I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the PM3's are still using 33.6
>cards due to the fact that Lucent/Rockwell still have not come out with
>good 56k code for their k56Flex modems.  The Livingston people don't have
>a clue as to when they will get it, and all the customers who bought PM3's
>with the thought that they would have the 56k by now are in an uproar and
>very dissatisfied...I am on the mailing list for them too.  I was going to
>go the PM3 route myself, but since all that is going on, I am going to USR
>x2 first because they at least have something that works.  The USR Total
>control unit, however doesn't support ISDN though (AFAIK), so you would
>have to get an I-Modem rack, which from what I've heard aren't bad either.

Yeah, we're looking at doing the same type of thing.  I looked into getting
an Ascend box, but the cheapest path I could inch into it was with the
Max 1800 (to support both ISDN and k56flex), and at +$8k won't fit
in our current capital budget (very tight :^<).

In our case, any route we take will be a pain since all our analog lines
are just that, individual pots circuits (best route performance/cost when
we put them in...).  The headache & cost of installing PRI's just ain't
goin' to happen soon.  But since we found out that some/all of our analog
lines are off a SLIC-96 rack & it's speed limiting our users connections,
So we're installing BRI's in hunt groups & hanging USR I-couriers on our
server ports.  They'll handle 64/128k ISDN, x2, and 33.6.  Granted,
there'll be times where 1 BRI will be tied up handling 1 64k ISDN or
1 x2 call, but it beats nothing.  Besides, we're "weaving" some 33.6
analogs to the POTS port on the I-couriers.  We'll tie them at the end
of our current analog group for overflow.

Not the cleanest, most elegant solution, but it'll work now & buy us
some time until the x2 / k56flex wars settle out...

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting