Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:47:36 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird problems with on-board Adaptec 7880

>I have a system based on a three-year-old Iwill PIILS motherboard. This
>mobo includes an AIC7880 controller, which supplies a Ultra Wide SCSI
>channel. There are two SCSI connectors (68-pin wide and 50-pin narrow) on
>the motherboard.
>
>A few days ago I transplanted the motherboard to another system and I
>attached some devices to its SCSI channel. I inmediately got speed
>negotiation problems, and I tried several bus arrangements to no avail.
>This is *not* a cabling or termination problem;

I suspect that it is a termination problem.  More below.

>Currently I have *only* one device attached: the external DLT 4000 unit
>(fast narrow SCSI). There is a flat 50-way cable from the appropriate
>connector on the motherboard to an external micro-SCSI connector; from
>here to the DLT there is a single standard SCSI cable, and I attached an
>active terminator to the DLT's free SCSI connector, of course. Everything
>is correct.

Ensure the DLT does not have a jumper or dip switch for internal
termination.

>I entered the SCSI-select utility of the onboard AIC7880 and tried all
>kind of things. Surprisingly, sometimes I achieved the 10 MHz sync speed
>after enforcing a limit of 5 MB/s (!) for the DLT target. Weird. Anyway,
>it did not work at all. Even a simple "mt status" gets hung until I reset
>the bus.
>
>I am suspecting of problems with the SEEPROM. Maybe the ahc(4) driver does
>not understand correctly the settings it reads from the SEEPROM... I don't
>know. I found a option called "AHC_DUMP_EEPROM"; I can turn it on if it
>could be useful.

It may be useful.

>**NOTE:** the SCSI-select utility offers only two choices for bus
>termination: "High ON/Low Auto" or "High OFF/Low OFF". If I attach devices
>to both SCSI onboard connectors (wide and narrow), the "boot -v" messages
>keep saying "Low byte termination enabled". Is that the expected behavior?

Depends on the motherboard.  Many of these systems actually control
the termination via a MB BIOS control.  The SCSI Select controls were
never disabled when the SCSI BIOS was compiled.  I believe that this may
be the cause of your bus instability.

--
Justin