Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 01:22:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>
Cc:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>, Vincent Defert <vdefert@trace.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

A very good comparison, I must say.  My only Linux experience is with
MkLinux which is RedHat based.  It comes with a lot more packages
pre-installed (i.e. lesstif, xpm, less, tcsh, libtiff, etc.), but there
are often problems with dependency and lib errors.  I like the way
FreeBSD has one source for updates and source code.  I know the Linux
flavors have their own home, but there's always the time you have to go
to a sunsite mirror and get the new libc or something like that.
FreeBSD is one-stop shopping.  The only advantage I can see to Linux
(RedHat Linux to be fair) is that it's UN*X for the Windows 95 user.
Everything is in one big package, and a lot of the workings are hidden
from the user.

Joe Clarke