Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:19:44 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade mess

On Thursday 13 March 2003 11:54 am, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> At 11:22 AM 3/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >I forced the portugrade of imake. That also rebuilt kde-3. I have
> > found that if you don't force, it only updates the ports that have
> > changed. It doesn't take care of the full b-dep dependancy list.
>
> Hmmm... now, that's interesting.
>
> I did portupgrade of imake (without any special options) before
> upgrading XFree86 as I needed to use the computer (WinXP) and had to
> wait until off hours to upgrade the rest. So, I'm wondering if that
> did not mess up something. I did notice that KDE3 was up-to-date and
> did not need upgrading, but I caught something about KDE3 upgrade on
> one of the computers. Does that mean that imake is reponsible somehow
> for upgrading KDE3? What is the switch to force the upgrade?
> How did the upgrade of imake lead to the rebuild of kde-3?

I see that I only replied to you and not the list. You have to use
something like

portupgrade -pufr imake.

For example, on my system a required by dependancy list for imake shows

Information for imake-4.3.0:

Required by:
ImageMagick-5.5.5
Mesa-3.4.2_2
WordNet-1.7.1
XFree86-4.3.0,1
XFree86-FontServer-4.3.0
XFree86-Server-4.3.0
XFree86-clients-4.3.0
XFree86-documents-4.3.0
XFree86-font100dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-font75dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.3.0
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.3.0
XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0
XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
XFree86-libraries-4.3.0
XFree86-manuals-4.3.0
Xft-2.1_3
apsfilter-7.2.5_1
arts-1.1,1
cups-1.1.18.0_4
cups-pstoraster-7.05.6
docproj-jadetex-1.10
ghostscript-gnu-7.05_4
gtk-1.2.10_9
html2ps-letter-1.0_1
imlib-1.9.14_1
imwheel-0.9.9
jadetex-3.12_1
kdbg-1.2.5
kde-3.1
kdeartwork-3.1
kdebase-3.1_1
kdegames-3.1
kdegraphics-3.1
kdelibs-3.1
kdemultimedia-3.1
kdenetwork-3.1
kdepim-3.1
kdetoys-3.1_1
kdeutils-3.1
kdevelop-2.1.5
koffice-1.2.1,1
libmpeg2-0.3.1_1
libungif-4.1.0b1
libwmf-0.2.8
links-2.1.p9,1
open-motif-2.2.2_1
peps-1.0
pilot-link-0.11.7_1
qt-3.1.1_4
teTeX-2.0.2
tk-8.3.5
transfig-3.2.4
wrapper-1.0_2
xanim-2.92.0
xfree86_xkb_xml-0.2
xmbmon-201
xmcd-3.2
xmms-esound-1.2.7_3
xmms-kde-3.0.0

If you just use -r imake, you will only update imake and the XFree86-4.3
ports. This leaves a lot of ports linked to old XFree86 libraries. The
libraries are probably used dynamicaly but the header files that went
along with them have been updated. I believe in a KISS simple, clean
setup and will always rebuild anything that has an updated port as an
b-dep. The only thing I ignore are utilities such as imake. An upgrade
of imake doesn't justify rebuilding everything in my mind; however, a
major update of XFree86-libraries is a different matter.

If you use -rf, you will update everything in the required by list. It
will also take a long time :).

Kent

> BTW, any idea how I could reduce the size of the /usr/ports slice -
> it's max is about 2Gb and there is about 1.7 in use. It seems a bit
> bloated and I certainly don't need all the stuff that is in there...
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA