Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:33:12 +0000
From:      Adam Wiggins <adam@ixpres.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   etherexpress pro 100/b

Hi,

  I'm unclear on what is necessary to get a supported NIC up and running.  My
version is 2.2.7 which claims to support the card, an Intel Etherexpress Pro
100/B (has been working fine on a Linux box for some months now, so the
hardware is not faulty).  On boot the kernel seems to (sort of) detect it,
with the message:

fxp0 <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 4 int a irq ?? on pci0:6:0
        int line register not set by bios
fxp0: couldn't map interrupt

However, going into the visual config presents only a selection for "Intel
EtherExpress Pro/10", which is ex0 (and not fxp0, which seems to be what I
want).

Do I need to get the kernel sources and compile a driver?  I'd like to avoid
this since the machine has a very small hard drive (I'm planning to use it as
a router, the etherexpress is actually the second NIC in the machine) and I
probably don't have the space for it.  Anyhow, if the driver isn't already in
the kernel, why is it
detecting the stuff it spits out at boot?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.