Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 17:00:57 -0400
From:      "David W. Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Target Mode] Was: Ooops - sorry

Hugh LaMaster wrote:

> With the acquisition of Symbios, is there *any* open chipset
> family available in multiple controller incarnations from
> different vendors?  Does Qlogic sell its chips on the open
> market- and, if so, is anybody buying (what are the other
> sources?)?

Who makes the chips on the Advansys controllers?  They might be
willing to publish their specs.  They even make a controller that
will boot in either a PC or a Mac!!  I think it is still sold as the
Iomega Jaz Jet PCI (after Iomega stopped shipping Adaptec PCI -
possibly because someone figured out you could get the same
controller from Iomega retail than you could from Adaptec anywhere).

Dave Alderman
"Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we need him?"