Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:29:02 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Andrew Cutler <andrew@1stelement.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chown  broken??

--76DTJ5CE0DCVQemd

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:22:32AM +1100, Andrew Cutler wrote:
> I just hosed one of my boxes by recursively setting all my file
> permissions incorrectly:
> =09
> 	$ su
>       $ cd /data
>       $ chown -R andrew:wheel *

This is all ok.

>       $ chown -R andrew:wheel .*

This isn't.

> For some reason the last command was interpreted as:
> $ chown -R andrew:wheel /*=20

No, it was interpreted by your shell as:

# chown -R andrew:wheel . .. .foo .bar <other files starting with .>

Note the second entry, '..'. This translates to the directory above the one
you are rooted in, as usual. In effect you recursively chown'ed every
directory on your system, just as you asked.

> Why does the behaviour of chown change when u r root?

It doesn't, only when you try this as a normal user you don't have the
permissions to change ownership of /.

> Surely this is a bug?

No, it isn't.

> And what the hell is this crap in the man page about -R:
>=20
>         -R  Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file
>         hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files
>         themselves.

It is another way of saying that chown will update ownership recursively,
although I admit it is worded rather badly.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
I really hate this damned machine