Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:42:03 -0700
From:      Christopher Allen <gmfangs@asmrb.org>
To:        Brion Moss <brion@queeg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Problem based on Handbook answer

At 8:27 AM -0700 10/20/97, Brion Moss wrote:
>1) The problem is that the .tar.gz extension indicates a compressed
>tar file.  In order to unpack it you need to give tar the "z" argument
>(e.g., "tar xzvf" instead of "tar xvf").

Someone should correct the handbook on this one ;-) The reference is
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook28.html#30>.

>2) The canonical way to do this is to use the ctm mailing lists to
>keep current with the ports tree.  See the handbook for details, but
>basically you subscribe to a mailing list that sends out patches
>periodically, and you filter the mail through a program which applies
>those patches.

Can you point me to a handbook link for this? I couldn't find it.

>Or, you could write a script that looks like this:
>
>	#!/bin/sh
>	# Fetch the new ports into /tmp
>	cd /tmp
>	fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports.tar.gz

My understanding was that if I did this it would also grab all the contents
of the ports/distfiles/ directory as well, which would make it a huge
download. Is there someway to get all the skeletons and not the
ports/distfiles/ directory without seperately downloading each subdirectory
of ports/?

>	# delete the old ports files.  I didn't feel like listing them
>	# all, you'll have to finish the list
>	cd /usr
>	rm -rf ports/{archivers,astro,audio,benchmarks,cad,chinese,...}
>	# unpack the new ports file in place
>	tar xzf /tmp/ports.tar.gz
>
>Hope that helps.

Thanks for your prompt advice.

I hope that the folks writing the scripts for the ports directory can add
to the wish list a quick "update skeletons" script that ships with the
default distributions. The whole ports/ and pkg solution makes things so
much easer for us with less unix experience, and this one addition would
make it even easier.

.. Christopher Allen                          1563 Solano Ave., #353 ..
.. <gmfangs@asmrb.org>          ;->          Berkeley, CA 94707-2116 ..
..                                                     h510/528-9899 ..
.. <http://www.asmrb.org/~gmfangs/>;      f510/649-3301 o510/649-3300 ..