Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 19:08:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp slow to start?

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:

# On  0, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net> wrote:
# > Anyone know why it sometimes takes user-mode PPP in the neighborhood
# > of a couple of minutes to startup?  As root I type 'ppp' and I get the
# > 'Working in interactive mode' message almost immediately and then it
# > just sits there for what seems like a very long time.  It finally times
# > out and works but I'd really like to get rid of the delay if I could.
#
# If you are running a named server it's
#
# 'Cuz user-mode PPP does some sort of operation on startup that
# accesses your named daemon.  Since the PPP session isn't up, named
# hangs and eventually times out.  After the timeout PPP continues
# on its way.

Yes, you're right.  I moved hosts before bind in /etc/host.conf
and the problem seems to be cured.

Thanks, Steve

# --
# Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>