Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:36:11 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding where dummynet fits into an ipfw ruleset

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Martes Wigglesworth
<martes@mgwigglesworth.com> wrote:
> It really does not matter, because the que has nothing to do with denial
> of service unless you set it up that way.  You just divert to the
> dummynet pipe, or que and then the rest is handled by the mechanism.
> The ipfw rule only works to augment the flow of traffic into the pipe,
> or que.  Just make sure you are not dropping any of the intended traffic
> prior to a dummynet rule, because then you would be hendering the rule's
> ability to shoot traffic to the que, or pipe.
>
> The dummynet manpage has some examples, and there are some good
> tutorials on onlamp.com.
>
> Otherwise, I hate to say it but, "google it."

Yes, I've read the dummynet and ipfw man pages.  Yes, I've read
articles on the 'Net.  Yes, I've done google searches.  And no, it
still doesn't make sense how queue rules work with packet filter
rules.  Hence, why I'm asking here.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com