Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:47:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>
To:        Albert Chen <chen6178@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts and DNS.

Hi there.

/etc/hosts does local resolution on your computer from domain name to IP
address (mybox.mydomain.com -> 244.71.177.35 for example)
DNS conects to the root servers on Internet and does resolution all over
the whole Internet. To use DNS you need to install BIND on your mashine,
and you also need to register your domain (like mydomain.com for example).
Check www.internic.net for more information.

P.S. Pretty small explanation ;)

Oleg Ogurok
oleg@ogurok.com