Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:23:35 +0200
From:      Etienne Ledoux <etienne@unix.za.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   pop3 timeout problems.

Greetings,

I've recently changed/upgraded our mailserver to a new enviroment.
I'm using postfix, courier-imap on my mailservers and I keep the mailboxe=
s on=20
a shared nfs drive. Since the move we have been having a few complaints a=
bout=20
timeouts while downloading mail via pop3.

These timeouts would occur on small and large mailboxes, with only a few=20
messages in them. The client has a diginet line which isn't saturated. Th=
e=20
connection would start out ok and then it just slows down to a grinding h=
alt=20
and eventually times out. One thing we have noticed is that all the=20
complaints are coming from users using Windows XP. We have tested downloa=
ding=20
from the same windows xp machine using outlook and outlook express and th=
e=20
same thing would happen. But if we downloaded the same mailbox from a=20
different machine using windows 98 on the same lan using the same diginet=
=20
connection the mail downloads quickly without a problem (we also tried=20
different network cables). We have other clients experiancing the exact s=
ame=20
problem and they are also windows xp users on diginet lines.

I mount the nfs share from my bsd boxes using the -r=3D8192,-w=3D8192 opt=
ion.

The servers are handling allot of mail daily but aren't under extreme hea=
vy=20
load.

I haven't tried lowering the MTU and I haven't tried another pop3 server =
yet.=20
But this will be my next steps to try and solve the problem.

Could this be a problem with windows xp (why wasn't it a problem before I=
 did=20
the move ?)

What could be causing this ?
Any ideas, suggestions ?