Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2004 06:47:38 -0800
From:      Nick Tonkin <nick@tonkinresolutions.com>
To:        Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial graphics drivers for 5.x ??

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:47:37 +0000, Robert Downes
<nullentropy@lineone.net> wrote:

> Nick Tonkin wrote:
>
>> Andrew, thanks for the pointer. The XFree86 nv driver is what I have
>> been using. I'm going to try to install and use Nvidia's own one.
>

> Really? I'm using a GeForce 2 MX 400 (64Mb) RAM, and I get an excellent
> picture with a Philips 109P2 monitor, using the nv driver for X.

Are you using KDE 3? I'm going to experiment with some other window
managers, but I have observed that there are weird problems with color and
focus too.

Specifically, when I switch between one application window and another,
the contents of other wwindows and the desktop (eg the task bar icons and
text) sometimes become blurred and the colors shift (white becomes grey,
eg). At first I thought this might be an issue with Opera but I have found
it to happen with Konsole, KWord, etc.

Thanks,

- nick
--