Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:34:44 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgraph and ar0 (digi sync/570i)

Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Hello guys
>
> I've got a few problems with a new FreeBSD 4.1 router test setup.
>
> Up until now I was unsing the Digi Sync/570i (V.35) with the native
> driver plus kernel sppp for ppp and/or cisco HDLC mode. No problems
> here. Works fine.
>
> To leverage the new possibilities of VPN's, protocol stacking, etc.
> I now tried to use it with netgraph.
>
> The card is still detected fine and I set up netgraph with the
> following:
>
>    $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0: cisco rawdata downstream
>    $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0:rawdata iface inet inet
>
> OK, now the ng0 interface appears in ifconfig -a and can be configured:
>
>    $ ifconfig ng0 62.48.31.181 62.48.31.182 netmask 255.255.255.252
>
> This brings up the interface but leads to an error message like the
> following:
>
>     ar0 Receive error, chan 0, stat a4, msci st3 3, rxhind 25, cda40fa
> eda
>
> Has anybody got a hint what might be going wrong here or has got it
> working? Remember, without netgraph is works fine.

We have never had an AR card to test the netgraph code with.
The netgraph code was done "in theory", but is waiting at the
("well that's all the hard work done" stage, for someone with a card
to show up..)
Basically it is the same code as in the Sr driver and a prorpretary
card at Whistle.

I will be out of touch for a day or two but if you would like to help me
get it going
send me some email and we can see what we can do..

The fact that you have it running in the old format shows that all the
information
needed is there.. I just need to figure out what I've missed out..

> A few more questions and observations:
>
>  1. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'NOARP', without it does
>     not.

>  2. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'SIMPLEX', without it does
>     not. This is clearly wrong, leased lines are duplex.

With netgraph, the ar device should not HAVE a ifconfig entry..
if it doesm that that is coding problem straight away..

> Thanks
> --
> Andre

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer