Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2006 22:28:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuring DNS (BIND) in isolation

--------------enig9366713FB41229EA59C57912

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> I have a need to make my own DNS system on an isolated network.  Years =
ago,
> I administered DNS for a couple of different companies, but that was
> quite a
> while ago and since I've turned to programming I haven't done much in t=
he
> way of network administration.  I recall from using BIND 4, when I was
> reading up on it, that it is most certainly possible to configure an en=
tire
> DNS system on a totally isolated network.
>=20
> Would I need zone files for the root, ".", zone and any other zones I
> configure; e.g. "isolation."?  This would seem to be the way to go abou=
> it,
> but I'm having some difficulty visualizing it in my head.  I just did s=
ome
> searches online for the O'Reilly book "DNS & BIND".  I recall using thi=
> book in the past and it was quite helpful (and unfortunately for me,
> belonged to my former employers).  Would this book be a good reference =
for
> this task as well, or are there better books that I might want to look =
into
> getting for this?  Or, are there good on-line resources that could help=
 me
> muddle through?

You're on the right track.  Yes, you'ld need a zone file for the root of
your DNS -- if it's all served from one machine then that would replace t=
he
'hint' zone and named.root stuff in the example named.conf=20

The zone file for '.' would contain an SOA record and then delegation for=

whatever forward and reverse domains you want to use.  Eg. supposing you
want to use the TLD 'in.isolation' with IP numbers from 192.168.0.0/24
then you'ld need something like:

    ;
    ; Root of the private domain name system
    ;
    $TTL 604800    ; 1 week

    @             IN      SOA ns0.in.isolation. hostmaster.in.isolation. =
(
                              2006120100 ;  Serial
                              1800       ;  Refresh (30min)
                              900        ;  Retry (15min)
                              604800     ;  Expire (1week)
                              86400 )    ;  Minimum (1day)
    in.isolation.            IN  NS ns0.in.isolation.
    0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN  NS ns0.in.isolation.
    ns0.in.isolation.        IN  A 192.168.0.1   ; Glue
    ;
    ; That's All Folks!
    ;

Then you'ld need the zone files for 'in.isolation.' and
'0.168.192.in-addr.arpa'

The O'Reilly book 'DNS & Bind' by Ablitz and Liu is well worth obtaining.=

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3