Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:01:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mrouted (was FreeBSD lounge

 Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov> writes:
[delete]
>  When I've done this point-to-point it worked fine as you say. When I
>  did it multicast I got flooded with MBONE routing updates and it
>  sucked so much of my modem bandwidth that RIP routes failed to get
>  through and my link died. I used the mrouted.conf "bandwidth"
>  parameter to leave me some room on my line for non-MBONE
>  traffic. After a while, the mrouting stabilized and became a low
>  overhead.

the initial tidal-wave of data on the tunnel may acually be the session
flooding. To quickly get sessions running when the MBONE tunnel restarts
the MBONE router floods data packets to all the groups and then as enough
time has expired that the IGMP resposives should have been recieved, the
un-used sessions are pruned back. People with slow links may benefit from
using mrouted version 3.9-beta3 from:

  ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/
        pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-i386-freebsd22.tar.Z

to stop the flood-fill of session data, all you do is add "nofill" in the
/etc/mrouted.conf.

I also appreciate the "passive" option, so there is no overhead on neighbors
that only occasionally have their tunnels connected.

--mark.