Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:00:43 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Mmacfarlyn <mmacfarlyn@gmail.com>, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and jackd

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:02:08 -0500
Diane Bruce <db@db.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:35:51AM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:46:08 +0100
> > Tilman Keskin?z <arved@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > * Volodymyr Kostyrko [Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:53:07 +0200]:
> > -d oss").  Just ignore any warnings about ALSA; they're irrelevant
> > if you're using OSS.
> >
> > For some reason, though, lately, I can't get Rosegarden to start
> > anymore, even though jackd is starting up and opening the listening
> > socket just as it should.  I've trussed Rosegarden, and it seems to
> > be exiting after failing to connect to lircd, which never used to
> > be a requirement.  After failing the connect, it segfaults and
> > that's all she wrote!
>
> What is probably happening is Rosegarden is trying to set real time
> priority on a thread, which we cannot do as non root.
>

> > Anyone know what's up with *that*?
> >

> I've been digging into the port lately but for a hamradio related port
> 'lysdr'.
>
> Try
>
> jackd -r -d oss &
>
> The -r sets non realtime priority. jackd will start up, Rosegarden
> should connect to that.
>
> Please let me know.

No, I've already tried disabling realtime.  Doesn't make any
difference.  As I mentioned earlier, this problem, I think, doesn't
even really have anything to do with jackd.  Rosegarden is looking to
connect to an lircd and, not finding one, it then crashes rudely and
abruptly before the main window even opens.  All I get is the splash
screen, then it dies.  Very disconcerting, since I *really* like this
program and was using it a lot before this started happening (I'm an
amateur composer/arranger/musician.  I can't seem to track down the
cause, other than this lircd issue, which is baffling, because
Rosegarden always worked just fine before without that.

Thanks for any other advice you may have to offer.  Appreciate your
interest in helping.

Conrad

--
Conrad J. Sabatier