Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2007 11:24:39 -0500
From:      Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Verifying serial setup for KDB_UNATTENDED

We have a RELENG_6 amd64 box that has been experiencing lockups/panics
every 4 days or so. The box is at a remote location and trying to get a
full trace has been nigh impossible with the staffing constraints. As
such I would like to set up a serial console (using another FreeBSD box
and minicom or cu). I would like to verify that the following will work
to allow a) the other FreeBSD box to have a terminal session via COM1 b)
have it work regardless of whether a keyboard and/or monitor is plugged
into the target box and c) still allow terminal redirection to internal
or serial console if a keyboard is attached :

/boot/loader.conf
hint.sio.0.flags="0x30"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_console="YES"
comsconsole_speed="19200"

/etc/ttys
ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" vt100 on secure

As this is basically a 6.2 system, I assume I don't need to do anything
re: boot blocks or /etc/make.conf or the like? Kernel has already been
built with options DDB, options KDB_UNATTENDED, options KDB, options
KDB_TRACE.

Would the modifications to the 2 files listed above be sufficient to
meet my wishes above and allow me to see the panic to terminal when the
system does panic (and allow me to even trace, etc via the kdb
debugger) ?

Thanks,

Sven