Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 00:39:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Tim Wolfe <tim@clipper.net>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Load balancing

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Tim Wolfe wrote:
>
> > Now this particular instance I spent about 5 minutes thinking of so I know
> > there are tons of holes and/or better ways to do this.  The point is, at
> > Layer3, you get a measure of control over network flow and traffic
> > structure..
>
> Okay. Essentially, though, you either send using priorities based on MAC
> addresses or IP addresses. Still, the packet can't get to a machine
> faster, because the filtering is still the same. I do understand how
> people would use the cost features, though there are software ways of
> doing that.

But a switch (i.e. nice, fast, cut-through if possible switch) can't route
can it? - But a layer3 'switch' can route... i.e. it can direct traffic
across WAN's where the MAC addresses become invalid/exchanged etc. ;-)

I don't think switches can 'filter' per se anyway - theres very little
they can do - unless there running in store and forward mode (in which
case it see's the entire packet) - and that defeats the object of a
switch (cross point connections etc. i.e. low latency / high
throughput)... :-(

Regards,

Karl