Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:42:55 +0100
From:      "Frank Leonhardt (m)" <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up to tape

On 25 April 2018 19:10:02 BST, Sergey Matveev <stargrave@stargrave=2Eorg> =
wrote:
>*** Frank Leonhardt [2018-04-25 21:00]:
>>If I plug a SAS drive in to an HBA it'll just appear as /dev/sa0 (or
>similar)
>>- right?
>>
>>Then I can backup everything with tar -cf /dev/sa0 /* - right?
>>
>>Is anyone using tape able to confirm any of this one way or another?
>
>I have purchased Ultrium LTO5 SAS tape drive for several months ago and
>use it with HardenedBSD=2E Everything you wrote is right=2E It appears
>(connected through SAS HBA) as /dev/sa0, /dev/nsa0, /dev/esa0 and you
>can directly use tar with it without any problems=2E mt command allows
>you
>to rewind and seek records on the tape=2E And neither native tar supports
>multivolume archives nor tape drive will do anything with it -- you
>have
>to split volumes manually somehow=2E You can easily do something like:
>zfs send zroot > /dev/sa0 to write your ZFS dataset directly to the
>tape
>and then restore from it=2E

Thanks Sergey! Good to know the tape stuff still works=2E I've ordered a d=
rive=2E

I'll need a utility to save/restore ZFS datasets that are larger than one =
tape if anyone knows of one=2E Otherwise I'll be writing one, if anyone is =
interested=2E

Regards, Frank=2E

--=20
Sent from my Cray X/MP with small fiddling keyboard=2E